Tiverton Twinning Association is twinned with Chinon in France and Hofheim in Germany
What are the aims of Twinning?
To promote understanding and friendship between nations.
How can I find out more ?
Contact on Email or come and meet us at one of our fund-raising events, which are advertised locally.
Chinon (in France) Chinon is about 25 miles south west of Tours and straddles the river Vienne a few miles east of its confluence with the Loire. Francois Rebelais wrote that:
Chinon, though a little town, Three reasons hath for renown, On ancient stones it doth repose, About its feet the Vienne flows, It wears a forest for a crown.
which rather neatly sums up the fact that Chinon is ideally placed to meet the basic needs of human beings. Water and fish come from the river Vienne; game and wood from the forest; and limestone cliffs, which were, and still are, riddled with caves, and provide stone for building and shelter for people.
Chinon became part of English history when Henry of Anjou succeeded his cousin Stephen on the throne of England in 1154. Henry’s family were called Plantagenet, after the sprig of broom (planta genesta) which they wore as a distinguishing mark on their helms. The genet grew, and still grows, in abundance in the forests above Chinon. Henry died in 1189 in the chateau fortress which he enlarged in his lifetime. A local legend has it that Richard Coeur de Lion also died in the town after being wounded at Chalus in 1199. Both father and son are buried at Fontevraud, some fifteen miles away. Also buried there are Henry’s wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and John’s second wife, Isobelle of Angouleme.
It was in the spring of 1429 that Joan the Maid climbed the hill to the castle for her first meeting with the Dauphin, whom she was to place on the throne of France.
Today Chinon is a charming provincial town, beautifully situated on a spur above the river Vienne and with citizens who welcome visitors with great friendliness
– Hofheim (in Germany) Hofheim am Taunus has been a central town since 1352, and a district town since 1980. The population in 1979 was 34,000. The population has more than trebled in the past 30 years partly by the incorporation of neighbouring villages. The municipal area covers 576 KH of which 40% is woodland. Most people live in green surroundings. There are only five high buildings with eight or more floors. Local industry includes engineering, factories, glass production and woodworking factories. Farms specialise in fruit production and horticulture.
Hofheim is situated exactly in the centre between Frankfurt, Wiesbaden and Mainz, each being 11 miles distant. A fast rail service connects Hofheim with the main station at Frankfurt within 20 minutes. Buses run to Wiesbaden, Konigstein and the Main-Taunus centre.
There are 15 schools (8 primary and 7 secondary) and an education college. There are 140 associations and varied sport and leisure opportunities including playgrounds in the forest with restaurants. The impressive City Hall, with 900 seats, provides numerous cultural events, such as concerts, plays and exhibitions. Successful efforts are being made to restore the old part of the town with its half timbered houses. Recently a very fine museum has been restored and opened.
Hofheim has been twinned with Chinon since 1967, and with Tiverton since 1980.
Get further details: Email